Tuesday 1 January 2013

The day I met Suzie - Chris Higgins - ARC Review


'Suzie has taken over her home, her friends, her work, her boyfriend - and her life.'




I didn't know what to expect when I accepted 'The day I met Suzie' for review, I didn't even know what genre it fell into, but I can honestly say that I was pleasantly surprised. And I know I've said that about a fair few books lately, but it's true.
   The blurb was unique and didn't give any hints about where the story was going to go. My first thought was 'OMG! She's killed someone...' (you'll probably see why when you read the blurb). The plot was like a mystery to be solved, you had to piece together the puzzle pieces to figure it all out. 
   I admit that a few of the twists were unexpected but then some of them were predictable (to me, but maybe not to you, you'll have to read and see). Even when I predicted one of the big twists I was still like 'Ahhhhhhhhh!' because it was just... I don't even know what I'm trying to say, but yeh, it was still good!  I think the plot was delivered at the right pace and was altogether very clever.
   The characterisation was strong which issomething I found that helped you engage with the characters - no matter who they were. I really liked how Suzie was presented but I must admit that although I always agreed with the main character 'Indie' and stood by her side the whole way through the book, I didn't like her personality. She loved herself WAY too much but I suppose that was part of the story. 
   There was romance in the novel, it was handled well (sex included but so mild you could probably miss it) as it was casual. Having a boyfriend was a part of Indie's lifestyle and it all added to the story.
   As a whole I actually really enjoyed 'The day I met Suzie' and I might read more by Chris Higgins in the future as this was my first taste of her work. :)



4 Stars ****

No comments:

Post a Comment