Sunday 21 October 2012

Slated - Teri Terry - Review

Personality gone. Memories lost forever...


"Kyla's memory has been erased, her personality wiped blank, her memories lost forever.

She's been Slated.

The government claims she was a terrorist, and that they're giving her a second chance - as long as she plays by their rules. But echoes of the past whisper in Kyla's mind. Someone is lying to her, and nothing is as it seems.

Who can she trust in her search for the truth?"

A breakthrough in dystopian fiction and an outstanding debut from author Teri Terry!

Slated has gone up straight into my top 10 - it was phenomenal.

I truly do adore this novel, it's story and Kyla herself.

Kyla has been 'born again' if you like. She's had to learn to talk and walk all over again - her first step, her first word, every moment a struggle. She's 16 years old but has been stripped of the privileges of this youthful age, and of her childhood. She can't remember her old friends, her parents, who she was or what she did wrong to lose herself... 

Teri portrayed this so well as she showed Kyla struggling to open the door handle to the car and how Kyla felt almost privileged to be doing the washing up - though the novelty soon wore off. At first I thought "She's happy to be washing up? WHAT?!" But then I remembered how when I was younger I loved to do the washing (even if my Mum had to rewash everything afterwards - she thought I didn't notice!) and as I grew to my teen years the novelty had worn off and it became a chore - Kyla is having to experience all of this all over again. Teri put so much thought into this novel - it's incredible.

Something I loved about the story was the introduction of the "Levo". A device (like a watch I suppose) that monitors a slated's 'levels' - their emotions. It's designed to protect both the society and the Slateds from themselves - if their levels drop too low, dangerously low, they're deemed unconscious; or worse.

Teri wrote this novel beautifully - not just how she paced the story but how she actually chose to write it; I love her writing style.

Secrets, trust, friendship and love are put under tremendous stress as Kyla discovers that she's not like the other Slateds; Kyla is different. And this is her story of discovering the difference between right and wrong, between facts and lies, but most importantly between who she is and who she was.

A beautiful story, a compelling read...

It's disturbingly close to the undeniable nightmares of our future.

Kyla's story is heart-wrenching. 

It will haunt you.

A MUST READ for all dystopian fans and anyone else! I highly recommend this novel and can't wait for the sequel "Fractured" to be released in 2013.


Dystopian, Dystopia, Thriller, Romance, Ya -            5 Stars *****


2 comments:

  1. Sounds a superb read, a nice twist on the amnesiac story line you often see in both sci-fi and crime films. I like the dystopian spin on it. Onto the TBR list it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad the review helped! It definitely is a good read; one I recommend to many. :)

    ReplyDelete